The UP project proved a success with its range of unique and unexpected events and activities across North Devon and Torridge. Bringing people together and attracting new visitors to libraries and educating how libraries can change lives.
- Barnstaple Library: Tangible Memories. This innovative project brought young people and the older generation together in libraries to creative interactive memory books. Each session encouraged pairs to create a book based on the older person’s lide using the Tangible Memories app.
- Ilfracombe Library: Bookie Books! Each Friday during term time, Ilfracombe Library invited the under 5s and their parents/ guardians to explore the exciting world of stories through music, movement and dance. This event was a huge hit with preschoolers and adults alike.
- Exeter Library: Drag Queen Story Time. A first for Exeter Library. With two sessions taking place on Saturday 24th March, with host Alyssa Van Delle, young audiences were captivated by her glitz and glamour and thought provoking persona.
- Torrington and South Molton Library: Nature Tales; Family friendly, interactive fun – linking libraries with the great outdoors. This event was made possible through support from Unlimited Potential, Arts Council England and in partnership with Beaford Arts and the North Devon Biosphere team.
- Barnstaple Library: Women Work & Gin. Thursday 8th March, saw like minded individuals join together to celebrate International Women’s Day and enjoy an insightful talk from the CEO of North Devon Against Domestic Abuse (NDADA).
- Barnstaple Library: FabLab launch. The launch of Devon’s second FabLab saw families take part in exciting activities such as recreating the Barnstaple Library elephant, 3D printing, laser cutting and making music with bananas using Makey Makey kits.
- Ilfracombe Library: Cities of the Imagination. This special workshop with our mobile FabLab allowed people to get hands-on with computer graphics, 3D printing, and other high and low-tech media to design their own imaginary cities.
- Bideford and Barnstaple Library: Drag Queen Story Time. This exciting performance aims to capture the imagination and fun of childhood, whilst providing an entertaining and inclusive story time with positive and glamorous role models.
- Northam Library: Northam Life Stories. Local author Liz Shakespeare ran creative workshops in November and December 2017 to inspire writers to create a piece to be featured in ‘Northam Life Stories’ exhibition. Participants were invited to share their own memories of everyday life and the connections they had and still have with the buildings in and around Northam.
- Barnstaple Library: Twisted Tales with The Last Baguette theatre company. This whirlwind of theatre workshops for children and young people, explored and exploded fairy stories to create a twist and tangle to traditional tales.
- Bideford, Ilfracombe and Barnstaple Library: The Little Match Girl theatre performance, this touching, madcap and heart-warming Christmas show, from The Last Baguette Theatre company used visual story telling, live music and puppetry to shine a light on Hans Christian Andersen’s classic winter tale.
- Northam Library: Teenaiders interactive workshop with FabLab Devon, Seize the Moment and Morwenna Youth Group. The day involved a first aid course for teenagers aged 13-16, alongside a creative video workshop.
- Barnstaple Library: Start-up Day. Barnstaple Library held a range of events with high-profile industry experts, designed to support young businesses, entrepreneurs and Start-ups in getting their business off the ground.
- Ilfracombe, Bideford, South Molton and Barnstaple Libraries: Laughter Yoga with the Laughter Well. The sessions uniquely combined laughter exercises with ancient Yoga breathing techniques in a way that was accessible and fun. The sessions included laughter exercises and gentle yoga breathing to improve mental, physical, emotional and social wellbeing.
- Bideford Library: Stencilling workshop with Street Artist 7th Pencil. The day involved learning new skills in stencilling, creating designs to be displayed in the library and visiting the Burton Art Gallery.
- Burton Art Gallery, Bideford: 3D and 2D design and print workshops with FabLab Devon. A blast of techno fun for 8-12 year olds.