Opportunities for aspiring young writers and illustrators in Devon extendedPosted on 20 Jan 2022
What if YOU spoke? is a series of free online masterclasses in writing and illustration, aimed at 15 – 25-year-olds living in Devon. Among the masterclass tutors are literary prize winners, published authors, award-winning illustrators, playwrights and poets, and some of today’s most inspirational voices.
Whether people are interested in starting a novel or illustrating their own comic, finding out more about journalism or about different forms of poetry, or they just want to try something new, this is an invaluable opportunity for young people to learn from experts in their fields, for free.
Following each masterclass there is the option to submit a piece of work developed during the class as a competition entry. The competition deadline has been extended to Monday 31st January, from Friday 14th January, to allow more young people to take part.
A winner from each masterclass will receive an iPad and have their work published in Pen to Print’s magazine ‘Write On’, with a readership of over 55,000 users from 178 countries. To further develop their work, they will also receive a second one-to-one live masterclass with the course leader and become part of a new cohort of writers, receiving regular tuition and opportunities.
Each pre-recorded online masterclass is 25 – 50 minutes long and split into manageable sections. Students can follow classes at their own pace and try as many as they’d like. The ten free masterclasses include:
- Comics With Character – with illustrator and writer Joff Winterhart
- Draw Your Voice – with visual artist Rudy Loewe
- Finding Your Inner Voice – with author, illustrator and poet Laura Dockrill
- Form in Poetry – with poet Deanna Rodger
- Journalism 101 – with writer, journalist and producer Ali May
- Nature Writing – with writer Zakiya McKenzie
- Starting Your First Novel – with Derek Owusu
- The Thread of a good story – with filmmaker, activist and feature writer, Ashish Ghadiali
- What Have I Got To Write About? – with poet, novelist and playwright Steven Camden
- What Next? Developing Your Stories Further – with author Kirsty Logan
What if YOU spoke? masterclasses offer young people in Devon the chance to find inspiration, develop their work, and make 2022 the year that they make their voice heard.
Daniel Clark, Creative Director at Evolve said: “The unique classes have been created specifically for this project and with such a wide range of skills and voices on offer there really is something for everyone. We can’t wait to see the creative results from the next generation of writers and artists from across Devon.”
What if YOU Spoke is led by Libraries Unlimited in partnership with Pen to Print, University of Exeter, Africa Writes & Literature Works as part of Exeter UNESCO City of Literature.
All the masterclasses and full details on how to enter the competitions can be found at librariesevolve.org.uk/watch-now/what-if-you-spoke