Libraries Unlimited shares latest changes as we move into Step 4 of the government’s plan (Updated 5th August 2021)Posted on 03 Oct 2021
Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Monday 12th July, Libraries Unlimited confirms the latest updates as we move into Step Four of the roadmap from Monday 19th July. Throughout the pandemic our focus has been keeping customers, staff and volunteers safe and this will continue to be a priority. We will follow any further changes to government guidance over the coming months.
We ask all customers to be kind and respectful towards each other and our staff, and encourage mask wearing in all our libraries. We will maintain the following Covid safety measures – hand sanitisation stations, ventilation of our library spaces and regular cleaning. Test & Trace will remain available.
Library services currently available at your local library are:
- Book browsing will be available in 53 of our 54 libraries and all 4 mobile libraries (Chulmleigh will be offering Choose and Collect only at this time and will reopen every Thursday 9am-3pm from 22nd July).
- Free access to computers and some libraries will start to offer 2 hour sessions. All libraries will reinstate 2 hour sessions from Tuesday 17th August. You can book in advance.
- Our mobile libraries are on the road offering books and other items.
- Our indoor cafés in Exeter, Newton Abbot and Cullompton are open, outdoor spaces are also open.
- The Quiet Room at Exeter Library is open and study space is available in other libraries.
- Home Library Service in Devon and Books on Wheels service in Torbay are available for our housebound customers. Please contact your local library if you would like to hear more about this service.
- Meeting rooms across libraries in Devon and Torbay are available for hire without restrictions.
- More in-person events are being reintroduced along with our Summer Reading Challenge for children.
- We continue to offer a wide range of eBooks, eAudiobooks, digital magazines and newspapers on our website, as well as a vibrant programme of digital events via our social media.
Here is the latest on borrowing changes coming into effect over the summer:
- We have extended all renewals due from 28th June for 4 weeks.
- Loans from 26th July will revert to standard loan periods (3 weeks books, 1 week DVDs).
- You can borrow up to 24 books and from 9th August 2021 numbers of loans will change to 20 books.
- Reservation charges will recommence on 9th August 2021. Account limit reverts to £5 from 9th August 2021.
Information and advice
Reliable and up to date information about the coronavirus situation is available from:
- Current NHS guidance
- NHS 111 Covid-19 advice service
- NHS guide to the Covid app.
- Current Public Health England guidance
- Devon County Council
- Coronavirus advice in Devon
- Torbay Council
- Digital Unite
- Translated resources – Coronavirus (COVID-19) (devon.gov.uk)
Translated videos in a variety of languages (Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, British Sign Language, Bulgarian, Farsi, French, Gujarati, Hindi, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish (Sorani), Latvian, Lithuanian, Nepali, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese) and a range of information including about the vaccine and information for tourists – for when lockdown restrictions ease. To request information in different formats or languages email email@example.com.