Covid update – wearing a face covering whilst visiting our libraries is appreciated (Updated 22nd February 2022)Posted on 22 Feb 2022
On Monday 21st February, the Prime Minister announced the plan for ‘Living with Covid’. He said the nation had passed the peak of Omicron, with falling cases and hospital admissions, and we could now complete the “transition back towards normality” while retaining contingencies to respond to a Covid resurgence or a new variant.
The government no longer mandates the wearing of face masks. Wearing a face covering, unless you are exempt, in our libraries is appreciated. Please do not enter our libraries if you have Covid symptoms.
We ask all customers to be kind and respectful towards each other and our staff. We will maintain the following Covid safety measures – hand sanitisation stations and frequent hand washing, ventilation of our library spaces, respecting personal space and regular cleaning.
Throughout the pandemic our focus has been keeping customers, staff and volunteers safe and this will continue to be a priority. We will follow any further changes to government guidance and will continue to keep customers updated.
Library services currently available at your local library are:
- Book browsing is available in our 54 libraries and all 4 mobile libraries.
- Free access to computers. You can book in advance.
- Our mobile libraries are on the road offering books and other items.
- Our cafés in Exeter, Newton Abbot and Cullompton are open.
- The Quiet Room at Exeter Library is open and study space is available in other libraries.
- Home Library Service in Devon and Books on Wheels service in Torbay are available for our housebound customers. Please contact your local library if you would like to hear more about this service.
- Meeting rooms across libraries in Devon and Torbay are available for hire.
- In-person library events, check with your library for local events.
- We continue to offer a wide range of eBooks, eAudiobooks, digital magazines and newspapers on our website, as well as a vibrant programme of digital events via our social media.
Information and advice
Reliable and up to date information about the coronavirus situation is available from:
- Current NHS guidance
- NHS 111 Covid-19 advice service
- NHS guide to the Covid app.
- Current Public Health England guidance
- Devon County Council
- Coronavirus advice in Devon
- Torbay Council
- Digital Unite
- Translated resources – Coronavirus (COVID-19) (devon.gov.uk)
Translated videos in a variety of languages (Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, British Sign Language, Bulgarian, Farsi, French, Gujarati, Hindi, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish (Sorani), Latvian, Lithuanian, Nepali, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese) and a range of information including about the vaccine and information for tourists. To request information in different formats or languages email email@example.com.