Coronavirus – Library Service UpdatePosted on 24 Mar 2020
To keep our staff, volunteers and customers safe and healthy we have taken the decision to close our physical sites in Devon and Torbay from the end of Friday 20th March, and we have suspended our public events.
Following the Prime Minister’s speech on Monday 23rd March, our library staff will be home working. Our library service will continue and our staff will promote and support our digital library, create new online content and we will provide the important service of keeping in contact with our library customers.
We have suspended our Devon Mobile Library Service in line with our physical building closures. We have also suspended our Home Library Service in Devon and Books on Wheels in Torbay, and we are encouraging our volunteers to phone our readers regularly to have a social chat and to check in.
Renewals, reservations and charges
- All overdue charges incurred from Friday 20th March onwards have been suspended.
- We are in the process of renewing all customer issues so that no item will need to be returned before 17th June 2020.
- Please can we request that library customers hold onto books, CDs and DVDs and return them when we re-open. As mentioned above, there will be no fines and we will keep renewing issues until further notice.
- You will be able to view your new return date online by signing into your Devon or Torbay library account and proceeding to “My loans”.
- If you have forgotten your PIN please click the ‘Forgot PIN’ option to get a PIN reset sent to your registered email address.
- During this time, online reservations will be unavailable. If you have already placed an online reservation, please note this will not be satisfied until 17th June 2020 at the earliest due to the system closure.
- If you need assistance please email your local library stating your name and library card number.
- Please ignore any automated email messages you receive regarding renewing your items. We are working on the system to stop these messages during our closure period.
Download and stream free eBooks, eAudioBooks and eMagazines.
- We have added 3,500 titles to Overdrive (eBooks and eAudiobooks)
- We now have 1,000 unlimited use eAudiobooks through RB Digital Devon or RB Digital Torbay
- A selection of eMagazines are available on RB Digital Devon or RB Digital Torbay
- Access eAudiobooks via BorrowBox
- Access the ‘Reading Well’ collections on our digital platform
- Visit our reference online resources at Devon and Torbay Libraries
- Our libraries are creating fun online content and live streaming events. Check out individual library Facebook pages for more information.
Join the Digital Library
You can join the library by visiting the Devon Libraries or Torbay Libraries website. Once you have completed the online joining form, you will be given a temporary [UNREG] number which will enable you to access our digital library immediately. As and when our libraries re-open we will process all temporary memberships registered during this closure period and we will issue a library card to you.
- Devon Libraries website / Torbay Libraries website
- General telephone enquiries (For Devon Libraries only) 0345 155 1001
- Contact your local library by email for assistance with renewals or any other enquiries.
- Please bear with us, at this time, as we are receiving an increased number of enquiries
- We can also answer general enquiries and/or forward on general enquiries to the relevant member of the team from our info@ inbox. Please email email@example.com Please note that we aim to respond to all enquiries within 5 working days, but due to the current high level of enquiries and fast-moving national picture, we cannot guarantee this.
Vulnerable and older customers
We provide invaluable social contact for many of our older and more vulnerable customers. Many of our Home Library Service volunteers are remaining in touch with customers. We are also looking at ways we can remain in contact and provide some form of service during our library buildings closure.
Information and advice
Reliable and up to date information about the coronavirus situation is available from: